Washing cloth nappies
Had a browse, hung out in groups and seen a dozen different recommendations?
We know the feeling! So, why is that? Well, the short story is that there are no fixed washing instructions because no single machine behaves the exact same way in every household 🤦♀️
Ugh 🙄 Right?! You see, every single machine behaves different in each and every water hardness with each and every powder. So it’d be nigh on impossible to standardise the washing advice.
Here’s what we do know:
– manufacturers advise to use non bio powder
– bio washes better than non bio (another debate for another day)
– absolutely no softener
– nappies are the dirtiest thing you’ll ever wash
– the longest cycle you can find on your machine is needed
So where does this leave you? Well, our washing advice for our hire kits has a step by step guide that allows for some troubleshooting to figure the exact routine for you. Here’s what we advise:
– remove as much surplus poop as you can (it may be easier to do this as you go with each nappy before you pop it in your bag/bucket)
– cold rinse, no powder
– LONGEST cycle you can find; usually a cottons wash, with extra water if that’s an option (especially if your machine is an eco one)
– FULL dose of powder as per instructions on the box; so if it says X amount, plus Y if soiled, plus Z if full load = ALL of it!
– ONLY rinse if there are still suds at the end of your wash and next time reduce the powder until you no longer need a rinse.
Load size?! Full enough to agitate, not so much that they can’t move, or so little that they bypass each other. If you can put your hand in the top of the load and gently press down enough to create a gap at the top of the drum, you’re about there. We have a handy video in our community group The PoD Community Support Group that shows more detail on loading your machine and preparing your nappies. Head on over…
Finally, it is important to clarify that all manufacturers have their own wash guidelines and going against them will void your warranty. We feel it is important to feel fully informed in your decision. We advise bio powder in our own wash routine simply because of the science behind it washing better, and that we have a different insurance as a library. If your manufacturer advises no bio, then we would encourage to follow it if you need your warranty.
Shop with us
We reinvest all profits to support parents and children across our city. We appreciate every sale, which is personally packaged and lovingly sent!